[MPlayer-users] mplayer win32 issue

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Sat Nov 15 11:25:52 CET 2003

> okay
> after even more tests i discovered this:
>
> when running -nosound -benchmark everything is running at full
> speed(it renders the 40s clip in 10s)
>
> the problems happend as soon as i dont use these two options
>

> -nosound without -benchmark will eat up cpu,
> and -benchmark combined to any other option(exept -nosound) will still
> be as cpu consumming....

-nosound will disable sound decoding/demuxing. This means there is no timing
involved.
The player will render as many frames as the cpu allows. With -ao null it
will try to
render only for example 25 frames per second to keep sync.

What is exact you problem?
Normal playback takes 50% instead of 30%?
Then be happy!
I know it is faster for me because the other players do a lot of
framedroping where
mplayer can play the video without problems. If you really want to see the
power
of mplayer get a low end system with about 300-500 or even 200 Mhz.
Ok, it would be interesting to know where the problem is exactly or if there
is a problem at all.
I doubt it is a timer problem, the timer uses the same Sleep function as
everything else on windows
Maybe the numbers given by -benchmark are wrong, I don't know how they are
calculated.
Maybe windows gives us a bad process priority because we are a console app.
What OS
are you using?
If the video does not look smooth try -autosync 100. It is also a good idea
to use -dr for
direct rendering. This will render b frames directly to video ram and may
give at least some
speedup. Also try to use other videos with different (audio) codec. I would
be interested in
benchmarks with those because I don't know what windows uses for decoding
ac3 in your tests.

 Sascha