[MPlayer-users] Scaling interlaced video for DVD playback

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Fri Nov 14 14:18:05 CET 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 12:28, Neil Radisch wrote:

> > The resulting video is still interlaced, but with more thick lines, which

> > think is ok given the rescale operation.
>
> No it's not ok. The "thick lines" means you've altered the interlace and
> it will not display properly.
>
> In order to compress interlaced material you either have to use an encoder
> that really understands interlace, or fake it.
>
> As for the first option, I don't believe any of the opensource encoders
> under linux truly support interlace, but I may be wrong here.
I also thought of that.

> As for faking it, you might have to write your own compress app. I'm not
> sure what mencoder's capabilities are as I've never use it. But regardless
> you
> either need to
>
> 1) Seperate out the fields. Take the source and seperate it into two
> fields. Compress
>     the fields independently. On playback, decode the fields then weave
> them back together
>     as a frame. You'll need to write your own compress and playback app for
> this.
> 2) Fake the width. Someone (Billy Biggs?) suggested this to me. Feed the
> interlaced frame
>     into the decoder, but tell the decoder that the frame is twice as wide
> and half as high as
>     it really is. This stops the encoder from "smearing" the interlace and
> screwing up the motion.
All this implies the use of a software decoder, while I need the file to be
played on a normal set-top player. Never mind, you clarified the matter well
enough: I must wait until (if ever) ffmpeg develops their mpeg encoder a
little bit to include interlaced support.
Thanks anyway!