[MPlayer-users] Mencoder ignores the audio

Oscar Sundbom oscar at moosecomrade.mine.nu
Tue Nov 11 16:24:27 CET 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:14:59 -0500
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> > I launched mencoder with:
> > mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:width=352:height=288:audiorate=44100:adevice=sblive:amode=0:alsa:input=0:forceaudio -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac pcm -v -v > mencoder.log 2>&1
>                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Huh? adevice should be a device name, e.g. /dev/dsp.

A snippet from the man-page:

                    adevice=<value>     set an audio device
                                        /dev/... for OSS
                                        hardware ID for ALSA

Using ALSAs OSS emulation and providing /dev/dsp makes no difference.
Both seem ok during initialization but none work.

>From what I've seen of other mencoder outputs, a block like "Opening pcm audio decoder" should appear, as does
the "Opening video decoder" block of text. I don't get one for the audio but for the video.

Oscar