[MPlayer-users] support for H.264?

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Tue Nov 11 12:45:26 CET 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Roberto Togni wrote:

>FFmpeg have an h264 decoder (not encoder IIRC), but Vsofts variant of
>h264 is different (it was true when i added VSS binary support, i don't
>think it has changed later).

I don't understand what you mean.
- Either Vsofts' codec is H.264 or it is not H.264
- Either ffmpeg decoder supports H.264 or it does not.

If ffmpeg supports H.264 and Vsofts codec is H.264 _and_
Vsofts codec doesn't use higher profile, then it just works.
Otherwise, some of the above is false.

I don't know about Vsofts codec, but certainly ffmpeg
doesn't support (all features of) H.264, specifically
CABAC, loop filter, and B-frames. Before that ffmpeg nor
mplayer don't really support H.264.