[MPlayer-users] mencoding DVD with multiple display rates

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Nov 11 02:31:36 CET 2003

Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 	I've a DVD that's proving troublesome to transcode using mencoder and
> 	was wondering if someone has a spare clue or two what -vf settings
> 	should be  used.
>
> 	With mplayer dvd://1 I see the frame rate switch several times
> 	during the first 30 seconds or so (splashscreen/intro) before
> 	settling down to film (23.976):

Is the 30fps content telecine or just interlaced? You can check with
mplayer -fps 1. If you see a pattern of progressive and interlaced
frames like p,p,p,i,i p,p,p,i,i etc, that's the usual effect of 3:2
pulldown. Other patterns might be workable, but the pattern above is the
most common.

If so, the correct way to deal with it is to use either softpulldown or
pullup. Pullup, however, doesn't always work right with -ofps, so
softpulldown is my method of choice.

-vf softpulldown,ivtc=1 -ofps 23.976

-Corey