[MPlayer-users] mplayer TV tuner interface problems

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Mon Nov 10 18:24:01 CET 2003

Catalin Muresan wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:21:29PM +0100, Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
>  > you can use aumix,gmix/gnome-volume-control or similar utility to adjust
>  > line-in volume.
>
> 	yea, i forgot to add one thing: i also use lirc so i use my
> remote to adjust the volume, would be nice if mplayer would do that with no
> need to have an external program. one solution is to code a small mixer with
> lirc suport.

I am using lirc too (with alsa, but it would be similar for oss). It't
just necessary to raise Line volume at startup and mute it at the end of
the tv app.

begin

         prog    = irexec

         remote  = THOMSON

         button  = VOL+

         repeat  = 1

         config  = /usr/bin/amixer sset Master 5%+ on

end

begin

         prog    = irexec

         remote  = THOMSON

         button  = VOL-

         repeat  = 1

         config  = /usr/bin/amixer sset Master 5%- on

end

>  > there are some issues with immediatemode=0, so I generally don't
>  > recommend using it.
>
> 	it's unusable on my setup, are the issues fixable or unfixable ? :)

It would need major rewrite/redesign of tvi_v4l(2), it has originally
been designed to be used by mencoder, not for watching tv in real time.

>  > there can be a small delay because the audio goes directly to the
>  > soundcard, while video has to be processed/buffered.
>
> 	yep, i thought so and in immediatemode=0 seems to be in sync.
>
>  > you can also try using tvtime (tvtime.sf.net), which is specialized for
>  > real time tv watching.
>
> 	thanks, i will look into it but i would very very much like to use
> mplayer :P
> 	just looked and, like mplayer controls only pcm, tvtime controls
> online line channel from mixer, i need to control line1 :)

see tvtime -x

> and no suport for lirc.

   begin

     prog = irexec

     button = PR+

     config = tvtime-command CHANNEL_UP

   end

> i'll try it because mplayer's
> deinterlacers don't look that well, only pp=lb looks nice but looks bad for
> tv tickers.

tvtime has a pretty sophisticated 50Hz->50Hz deinterlacer. It is pretty
cpu hungry, though.

if you have more questions about tvtime, write me privately or to its
own list, we are getting offtopic :)

--
Jindrich Makovicka