[MPlayer-users] Audio/video sync... again

Vidar Wahlberg canidae at exent.net
Mon Nov 10 04:57:20 CET 2003

> > Is it only me who's stuck with this problem?
>
> Try with -oac copy or -lameopts cbr and see if the problem goes away
> with either or both of these. Using cbr is NOT a good idea, but this
> will tell whether the problem is the elusive 'lame bug' or not. If
> this fixes the problem, I would recommend downgrading to lame 3.90 or
> earlier, which definitely does not have such a bug.

Thanks for a quick answer.

Didn't want to write too much info in case I'm the only one having this
problem, but I see that I could've provided more info:

I've made a script that encodes the video to XviD and simply copies
the audio (-oac copy). This is done in a 2-pass mode.
Further I dump the sound with mplayer from the newly made XviD file and
encode this wave file with oggenc before merging the ogg and the XviD to
a new ogm file.
When this is done I'm stuck with the original vob (audio is in sync), a
encoded movie.avi where the sound is copied and a movie.ogm. So I'm not
even using lame in the process. However, in both movie.avi & movie.ogm
the audio seems to have the exact same desync, which is as previously
mentioned about -200ms to -350ms. Funny thing is that I tried with a old
Star Trek DVD and there the audio almost was in sync, but that's just
one DVD out of 6.

So it boils down to:
Encode from vob with -oac copy
Encode from DVD with -oac copy
Encode from vob with -nosound, then get sound from vob with mplayer,
	encode with oggenc and merge it with the produced XviD file
Same, just ripping from DVD instead of vob
"mencoder dvd://1 -o movie.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1800 -oac copy" (from man page)

I've only used mplayer, mencoder, oggenc and ogmmerge. The problem is
before I use oggenc and ogmmerge, as all these methods cause the audio
to be out of sync.

Thought I'd try something really basic before replying:
"mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy dvd://1 -o movie.avi"
This only cause mplayer to crash after 1.1 second which also is a
timestamp where mencoder gives a warning about a duplicate frame (Signal
11 in module: decode_video). So I never got to test whether the audio is
out of sync here or not (it seems like all the DVD's I feed it with has
a duplicate frame after about 1.1 seconds...?). Passing "-ss 2" to
mplayer while playing this "encoded" file did neither work, it just
crashed immediatly.

Right, hope I didn't forget anything.

--
Regards,