[MPlayer-users] gmencoder

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Nov 8 22:13:51 CET 2003

anton wrote:
> hi
> can I use the gmencoder 0.1.0 to encode a dvd if I have ripped the dvd
> already to hd using vobcopy -m? I tried playing around with -dvd-device
> and such but nothing seemed to work...
> Also, it doesn't appear that the subtitles can be done if it is done
> from a straight .vob file as opposed to a dvd, is this the case?
> Cheers
> Antonovich

I can't exactly answer your question, but I can tell you the correct way
to do this in the future.

$ mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob
This will give you one, _big_, unencrypted file of the whole movie.
Change dvd://x to different numbers if you want different titles, etc.
(If you don't know what title you want, try `mplayer dvd://x' first.)

$ mount /dvd

$ cp -p /dvd/video_ts/vts_01_0.ifo movie.ifo
It's almost always vts_01_0.ifo, as far as I've seen, but sometimes it's
different. The ifo file is necessary so the subtitles have the correct
color palette.

$ mplayer movie.vob -sid 0
The subtitles should look ugly here. Of course, change the sid number if
you need to.

$ mplayer movie.vob -sid 0 -ifo movie.ifo
The subtitles should look good here. If they don't, try other ifo files
from /dvd (this shouldn't be necessary, but it could happen).

$ mencoder movie.vob -ifo movie.ifo <whatever other options you want>

-Corey