[MPlayer-users] [bug] segfault when tsc is disabled by the kernel

Mathieu tenfingers at ifrance.com
Sat Nov 8 00:42:27 CET 2003

Hi,

I have a laptop running a linux kernel 2.4.22 on an intel pentium 4
mobile. My kernel is configured with the Unsynced TSC support option
( CONFIG_X86_TSC_DISABLE ) and with notsc as a boot option. As a result,
TSC is disabled by the kernel though the processor could make it available.

The thing is that makes mplayer segfaults (current cvs or 1.0pre2) in
GetCpuSpeed().

I replaced, in cpudetect.c :
    caps->hasTSC  = (regs2[3] & (1 << 4  )) >>  4; // 0x0000010
by
    caps->hasTSC = 0;
and it works fine with that.

I don't know if it is possible to detect whether TSC has been disabled
by the kernel but it would be nice to at least have a ./configure option
--disable-tsc just like for mmx,mmx2,sse, ...

regards,

   mathieu