[MPlayer-users] Re: BUG in mplayer!

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Fri Nov 7 10:43:27 CET 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
| > Then your cdrom drive/driver is broken. This does not happen to anyone
| > else, and should not be able to happen.

Following your argumentation, multiple different Linuxes must have a broken
driver, because this does not only happen with my particular SuSE 8.0, it also
happens at somebody else on Slakware 9, and so on.

Isn't this really hard to believe?

| |> Hmm - Is there a "workaround" for that? You say LINUX bug: Is this a
| |> logical bug inside the Linux driver (that linux still thinks of having to
| |> proceed with mode2), or is it a hardware bug, that the plextor simply
| |> isn't reset after playing the VCD by mplayer/mencoder?
| |
| |It's a Linux bug. You have to change the read block size to 2358 (iirc)
| |for raw read which you need for VCDs. Linux stores this but there is no
| |way to reset it to 2048 for normal data cds.

I can't believe that it is possible to have Linux to switch from 2048->2358
sector size, but no way to switch from 2358->2048 ! If this would be, no
player for Linux would be able to keep the CD-ROM usable after playing a VCD!
Though, this works absolutely fine with mpegTV and XINE, so: "Are these
programs some kind of miracle or magic?"

I forwarded your argumentation to one who confirmed me that this is a _well_
known problem with MPLAYER and he - again - agreed with my understanding of
this.

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch