[MPlayer-users] BUG in mplayer!

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Thu Nov 6 15:01:09 CET 2003

Hi!

I could meanwhile find out a very nasty bug within mplayer, which can be
re-produced.

1. Insert a VCD into CD-ROM
2. enter the command:   mplayer vcd://1 -dumpstream
3. Open another shell and rename the file 'stream.dump' which is still
   growing.
4. Wait. -- This excellent mplayer will crash with a core dump (at least
   it crashes on my machine within a short time.

>From now on I can do whatever I want (I also can software-eject the VCD!), I
am am not able to mount any normal Data-CDROM any more, while I am still able
to play VCD's with mplayer. :-/

I guess, mplayer does not re-set drive parameters correctly. One solution
would be to add some code into mplayer which forces 2048 Byte blocks whenever
it exits. Another option would be to fix the bug and let it either continue
(the file handle is still the same, even when renaming the file, so why does
it crash at all?) or stop controlled. Or add an option to force it resetting
the CDROM block size, if you don't want this behaviour by default.

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |