[MPlayer-users] mpeg_quant test

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Nov 6 12:21:41 CET 2003

I complained that MPEG-4 made objects moving on dark background leaved
trails at low bitrates. Richard suggested using mpeg_quant. I didn't try if
it helps (I'm using higher bitrates instead), but I did made some PSNR
tests.

Result: mpeg_quant decreased hugely PSNR.

Here's the graph:
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/tests/tt-test-mpegquant/mpegquant.eps

Here's some info:
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/tests/tt-test-mpegquant/readme.html

And here links to other tests:
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/tests/readme.html
I added there a link to Colin's tests.

I didn't add links to On2's nor Corey's VP6 tests, because
On2 says VP6 is better than H.264 while Corey say libavcodec is better than
VP6. But certainly H.264 _is_ better than MPEG-4 so something's wrong.