[MPlayer-users] cache fill not being refilled while playing media?

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Wed Nov 5 16:24:37 CET 2003

(please cc me in responses, as i'm not subscribed)

hi guys,

i have a question that might be either user error or my being unable to
find the info in the documentation:  how do you get mplayer to
actively keep its cache as full as possible while playing a stream?

the symptoms i'm having are something like this

i run mplayer on a dvd or streaming uri
	mplayer fills its cache (or partially, for the streaming uri)
	mplayer plays the stream until the cache is empty
	if it's from dvd
		it attempts to refill the cache
	if it's from a stream (wma, anyways)
		it disconnects me

the latter case might just be a windows stream that is broken by design,
but the former is a pretty sticky issue at home because it prevents us
from playing our legally purchased dvds from the cpu onto our big
screen.  when the cache empties, the stream gets very choppy as the
system gets nailed by interrupts filling the cache from the dvd.

i would imagine that this would be much less of a deal if mplayer
constantly tried to keep the cache full with small reads instead of
letting it empty out before refilling it.  but like i said, i'm not sure
that it's something i'm doing wrong in the first place.

so, any advice?  thanks,
	sean

ps -	fwiw, i get these symptoms on two different systems:

(debian sid, 2.4.x with preempt and 2.6.x, christian marrilat's debs)
MPlayer 1.0pre2-3.3.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville 638.9 MHz (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
MMX2 supported but disabled
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX SSE

and

(rh 9, with mplayerhq's rpms)
MPlayer 1.0pre2-RPM-3.1 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster 1695 MHz (Family: 8, Stepping:
2)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled with Runtime CPU Detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!