[MPlayer-users] Re: How to suppress background noise

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Tue Nov 4 08:28:29 CET 2003

Alain <cassandre at bartydeux.be> writes:

>> I always use the "record"-tool (comes as part of the xawtv package on
>> SuSE), it has a nice vu-meter in the console and "aumix" to set the mixer.
>>

> Hi Stefan
>
> Thank you for your answer. I tried aumix and I preferred it to Kmix or
> Gamix. I have the same problem with aumix as with Kmix and gamix. When
> I move the "line-in" slider the sound level goes up and down erraticly.
> Difficult to understand what is happening.

ok, this is probably a driver issue, can't help with that-

> As for the "record"-tool where do you find it on the Xawtv window or how
> do you launch it on console? Happy to know there is a Vu-meter but how
> do you launch it? I tried to type "record" but I have nothing. Is it
> really delivered with the Xawtv package? What package?

it is a separate tool, launched from commandline. But it is a different
package:

seife at mixi:~> rpm -qf `which record`
v4l-tools-3.85-28
seife at mixi:~> rpm -qi v4l-tools
Name        : v4l-tools        Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 3.85             Vendor: SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 28               Build Date: Mon 17 Mär 2003 19:51:46 CET
Install date: Sam 26 Apr 2003 18:35:22 CEST      Build Host: Johnson.suse.de
Group       : Hardware/TV      Source RPM: xawtv-3.85-28.src.rpm
Size        : 667365           License: GPL
Packager    : http://www.suse.de/feedback
Summary     : video4linux terminal / command line utilities.
Description :
This package includes a bunch of command line utilities:  v4lctl to
control video4linux devices; streamer to record movies; fbtv to
watch TV on the framebuffer console; ttv to watch tv on any ttv (powered
by aalib), webcam for capturing and uploading images, a curses radio
application, ...

Authors:
--------
    Gerd Knorr <kraxel at suse.de>

it is from the xawtv sources, but in the v4l-tools package. i mixed
that up :-)

You also get a graphical VU meter in motv by clicking on some menu, but
record has the advantage to show it also numeric so i can see when _my_
card begins to distort.

>> Also note that there are soundcards (crap like my soundblaster pci127),
>> which cannot do full 16bit but start to distort heavily if the vu level
>> is over ~50%. Fortunately record shows the signal level in numbers, so
>> i just adjust igain so the vu never is > 15000.
>
> Good to know.

Yes. I first would not believe that there is such a crap out there and
searched my whole setup for the part which produced such horrible
distortions... :-(

regards,

   Stefan
 Stefan Seyfried, seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de