[MPlayer-users] [BUG] -vf tfields=4 jumpiness -- OSD flickers madly

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Nov 4 02:21:19 CET 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:44:45PM -0500, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250, which outputs interlaced mpeg2
> files.  I was at first quite dissatisfied with the appearance of its
> output to my TV (sluggish feeling frame rate) until I discovered the
> existence of the tfields filter.  This appears to do just what I need.
>
> Unfortunately I'm noticing that even with tfields=4, areas of high
> contrast, including text, jumps about quite a bit.
>
> I've uploaded a clip to ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/ called
> cnn_clip_jumpy_with_tfields.mpg.  You can play this with -vf tfields=4
> to see what I mean.  Observe the lower right corner where the time is
> displayed.  The red border of that box along the top and bottom jumps,
> as does the CNN logo on the lower left.
>
> Also, partly related, OSD doesn't play nicely with tfields filter.  Play
> a video with -vf tfields=4 and turn on the OSD to see what I mean. :)

MPlayer does not support framerate-increasing filters. The tfields
filter only works for encoding, and even then it's a big hack
involving setting the incorrect framerate. :)

If you really want to use it, you can try MPlayer-G2, which _does_
support framerate-increasing. However it's not at all polished yet...
:)

Rich