[MPlayer-users] how to tell fps?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed May 28 22:22:44 CEST 2003

Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Got some files here I'd like to convert to divx but they are not 25 fps,
> rather 15 or so but can't tell for sure.
> How can I determine the source file's fps?
>
> Dex

You need to convert them specifically for PAL tv-out, or something?

Some codecs/containers are variable fps so in those cases mplayer
doesn't say, but for the fixed-framerate ones you'll see a line like
this:

VIDEO:  MPEG2  480x576  (aspect 2)  25.00 fps  2500.0 kbps (312.5 kbyte/s)

If you're lazy... :
$ mplayer somevideo.avi | grep -i fps

-Corey