[MPlayer-users] Can't play external DVDs

Dmitry Baryshkov lumag at qnc.ru
Wed May 28 13:59:50 CEST 2003

Hello!
В ?? 28.05.2003, в 09:46, DEBERT Jean-Louis пишет:
> Diego Zuccato wrote:
>
> > Christof Buergi wrote:
> >
> > > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
> > >   Vendor: PIONEER  Model: DVD-ROM DVD-303F Rev: 1.10
> > >   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> > >
> > > everything is okay, and we got to search for another
> > reason. However, if
> > > the type is "Direct-Access", then your DVD-drive is reported as a
> > > harddisk. This might lead to the described effect.
> > Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> >   Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: DVD-ROM GDR8160B Rev: 0009
> >   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> >
> > Nope. It's correctly recognized as a CD-ROM :-(
>
> Hold it ! Isn't "channel 0, ID 0" supposed to be the boot unit
> (i.e. a disk) ??? Well of course with ide-scsi, you cannot AFAIK
> set these values, they would be assigned by the driver ...
>
> I do have a real scsi card (with a real Iomega Jaz on ID 0) and
> I remember that I once tried to put a cd burner (also scsi) on
> ID 1. Well, it wouldn't work at all, IDs 0 or 1 seemed to be reserved
> for direct-access somehow (they definitely did NOT accept cd-rom drives).
>
> (I wouldn't know if this is still true, and whether it applies
> to ide-scsi ...)
I'm using DVD-ROM with ide-scsi, here is my /proc/scsi/scsi:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: RW/DVD GCC-4320B Rev: 1.02
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
(kernel 2.4.21-rc3)
So, with ide-scsi, Chan. 0 Id 0 _could_ work.

With best wishes
Dmitry Baryshkov <lumag at qnc.ru>