[MPlayer-users] rtc readable by the user

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat May 17 00:57:04 CEST 2003

Carl Karsten wrote:
> starting with
> cr--r--r--    1 root     root      10, 135 Aug 30  2002 /dev/rtc
>
> as root: mplayer ...
> Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz).
>
> as a user:mplayer ...
> Failed to open /dev/rtc: Device or resource busy (mplayer should be setuid root or /dev/rtc should be readable by the user.)
> Using usleep() timing
>
> but if I chmod a+x /dev/rtc
> cr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root      10, 135 Aug 30  2002 /dev/rtc
>
> as a user:mplayer ...
> Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz).
>
> So it seems 'readable' is a bit misleading, or am I missing something?

Yes, indeed, you have to do a bit more than that:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/documentation.html#rtc

Also, when you want to start a new topic on a mailing list, please do
not use your mail client's reply function, as it makes your mail get
nested within an existing thread instead of starting a new one as it
should.

-Corey