[MPlayer-users] [Bug report] memory leak with gmplayer -ao alsa9

Florent Ingwiller ingwille at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Fri May 16 15:14:33 CEST 2003

Hello

I have searched this mailing list for any similar case since july 2002, but I haven't found any, so I do this report.

There seems to be a memory leak in gmplayer used in conjunction with alsa9 audio output (gmplayer -ao alsa9) :
with the "top" util I can see gmplayer memory consumption increase in time (about 2.5 Mo per minute) until it saturates the memory  and get terminated by the kernel.

The funny thing is that it doesn't appear when I use mplayer -ao alsa9 (without the gui) or gmplayer -ao sdl:alsa9 (with the gui).

This seems to be independant of what audio or video codec or video output is used. The point is only with "gmplayer -ao alsa9".

I made some tests and it is reproductible with different distributions and mplayer versions. I tested :

mplayer 0.90 final, rc4, rc3 each compiled with gcc 2.95.3 on Slackware 8.1 (kernel 2.4.20, glibc 2.2.5) Atlon XP 1800+
mplayer 0.90 final, rc4, rc3 each compiled with gcc 3.2.2  Slackware 9 (kernel 2.4.20 with preempt an low latency patches, glibc 2.3.1) Atlon XP 1700+
The version 0.90 final packaged by PLF for Mandrake on a Mandrake 9.1  (kernel 2.4.20)  Pentium IV 1.8GHz
mplayer 0.90 final compiled with gcc 3.2.2 on a LFS (kernel 2.4.20, glibc 2.3.1) Duron 1,2GHz

someone detects it also on Mandrake 9.0 ( http://forum.hardware.fr/forum2.php3?post=23406&cat=11&config=&interface=&cache=cache&sondage=&owntopic=&p=1&trash=&subcat= beware this forum is in French)

if you want to add your contribution to this little list ...

So what's wrong with the gui and alsa9 ?

regards

FlamM

--
Florent Ingwiller