[MPlayer-users] BUG: "mplayer -identify" now plays

Sycotic Smith sycotic at linuxmail.org
Thu May 15 02:21:24 CEST 2003

> > D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > > couldn't both identify and show the movie at once (might not matter
> > > for local files, but consider a network stream.
> > I don't quite see the logic.. afair -identify printed script-edible output,
> > why would anyone need that, standard MPlayer output fits more to humans.
>
> Consider a web interface to remotely start mplayer on a headless box
> connected to tvout... It might be nice for the web interface to parse
> and show you info about the file you're playing.
>
> Rich

Just my $0.02 US on this topic... What was the FIRST reason this option was created?  IIRC, it was to show you what was in the container file and exit.  Am I right, or was it just exiting due to the break; or exit; within the parser for that option?  I would say if the addition was to have a way to get the details *without* having to give any other options, then it *should* exit after giving the details.  If it is there to parse the info and pass it along to say a GUI or frontend, then it is correct the way it is *now*.

If correct in its current incarnation, maybe there should be a different option that just gives this output?  As it stands - I am sure there are people out there that will disagree - this is idiotic to even have it included, since anyone can write a script to capture the same info from the normal output.  *Forcing* the user to type an elongated cmdline just to find out this info is IMHO not the right idea.

Rich does have a point up there, but I just felt from a *USER* stand-point this topic needs to be clarified just a *tad* more.  So all-in-all, I wouldn't say this is a BUG, but rather a 'feature change request' by the original poster.

/S. Smith