[MPlayer-users] Question about -vo gl and nVidia

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue May 13 21:06:07 CEST 2003

Axel wrote:
> The mplayer manual states that if the xv driver works then it should be
> faster then the gl output, but since I'm stuck with a nVidia card and I
> don't like the tearing, I've switched to the gl driver. But it is REALLY
> slow, CPU usage goes from almost nothing to about 70% on my Athlon 1200
> when watching DVDs. Is there any chance that the xv driver will support
> flip on vsync any time soon, or that the gl driver will become faster?
> Besides the huge speed bump, are there any other downsides with the gl
> output?

I have a cheap Vanta-based card and I dislike having to use the
proprietary Nvidia driver, but it mostly works quite well these days. I
don't get tearing with xv. The only problem I get with Xvideo is junk on
very large frames (greater than about 900 columns), so I just use x11
for the few very large movies I've tried. The x11 driver seems to take a
lot less CPU time than either gl or gl2, though it does have the
tearing. As always, YMMV.

Jonathan Rogers