[MPlayer-users] mencoder: ratecontrol.c:588: ff_rate_estimate_qscale: Assertion `picture_number<rcc->num_entries' failed.

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue May 13 20:38:46 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Are you just guessing, or doing actual tests (psnr or double-blind)?

I'm referring to encoding-tips.txt, so RTFM:

7) I've found  that lavc gives better  results when the first  pass is
done with  "vqscale=2" instead  of a  target bitrate.  The statistics
collected seems to be more precise. YMMV.

This also agrees with my experience, though I haven't done any
scientific experiments. When I first tried mencoder with two pass, I got
wild mispredictions. Now, it's usually right on the money, so it at
least hasn't hurt prediction to use vqscale.

Jonathan Rogers