[MPlayer-users] Distorted sound

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Tue May 13 11:49:17 CEST 2003

I'm trying to record VCR tapes.  I've pretty much got the video portion
sorted out, but now I'm having a problem with sound.

Here's the command:

mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:input=1:width=720:height=576:norm=PAL -vop
scale=320:240,crop=704:560:8:8,pp=ci -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200:vhq:keyint=100 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
cbr:mode=0:br=128 -o test.avi

When I play back the recorded avi, the sound comes out distorted, as if
it's overfeeding the input - I first thought that I had line plugged
into mic in.

But - playing the sound directly (i.e. in the card line in, out the line
out) I get no distortion.

I've tried higher and lower bitrates, no joy.

When I rip DVDs I don't have this problem, so I'm guessing the problem
is somewhere in the digitizing of the analog signal.

Any ideas?

TIA,

-Yan