[MPlayer-users] Support of ogmtools inside mencoder?

mail-lists+mpu at dogphilosophy.net mail-lists+mpu at dogphilosophy.net
Tue May 6 19:49:52 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 10:52 am, Pere Castañer wrote:
>[...]You say that ogm is a mediocre fileformat, in wich mean? (technical?)

Not to butt in here, but...

A little while back I managed to chat briefly on IRC with some of the people
affiliated with the (mostly dead, sadly?) Ogg Theora project.  Their comment
was that "ogm" was "horribly hacked" (.ogm is the same as the very first
original video-in-ogg format that came out for Windows?), and they seemed
confident that the "official" format for video-in-ogg would be much
easier to work with.  (In case it isn't obvious, they were referring
specifically to the file format, not the actual tools that Moritz Bunkus
wrote to deal with the format).

Of course, this is dependent on Xiph and co. getting around to working on
the standard and actually publishing some documentation, so who knows
when that will actually HAPPEN.

I don't know anything personally about the technical details either way, so
I can't actually say what, technically, makes .ogm difficult to work with
directly, or for that matter if it even really IS a "horrible hack", but
that's what I've gotten so far.

For myself, I'd settle for some way of encoding VP3/Theora video and
Vorbis audio in just about any "reasonable" file format (preferably
one that doesn't have a 2GB limit :-) ) - there DOES seem to be some
work going on VP3/Theora video decoding right now in ffmpeg (and by
extension mplayer and xine via libavcodec), so perhaps ENcoding won't
be TOO far behind?  Maybe even out by the time that the un-updated
theora.org site still says Ogg Theora 1.0 will be coming out?....