[MPlayer-users] Ripping DVD Audio tracks to MP3

Scott Baker scott at perturb.org
Sun May 4 10:20:36 CEST 2003

I want to rip the directors commentary track from some of my DVDs to MP3 so
I can take them to work and listen to them.  Is there a simple way to do
this with Mplayer?  It looks like:

mencoder -dvd 1 -aid 128 -dumpaudio

would dump whatever audio track to a file.  Is there a way to dump the
audio to a pipe?  Right now it's a two part process, rip the audio, and
then recompress the audio.  Is there a simpler way?

What's the best AC3 reader/encoder?  Freshmeat doesn't show a lot.