[MPlayer-users] using the digital SP/DIF audio out on a sound blaster card?

Sat May 3 06:53:08 CEST 2003

I am thinking of purchasing a SB Live card for the sole purpose of using
it with mplayer and want some advise before purchasing.

The mplayer docs show the SB live's SP/DIF as working with the alsa
driver.  How does this work?  Will it output the normal PCM audio to my
dolby digital receiver if it is not encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1?  My
DVD player will play normal CD's over the digital coax and I was hoping
that mplayer would do the same.  I want to be able to play all of the
DIVX encoded movies that I have over a digital link.  Some may have PCM
audio and I hope to encode more in the future with dolby digital.

Thanks for your advise in advance,
Michael