[MPlayer-users] Tearing with a laptop with a Savage IX video chipset (Continued)

Brandt Dusthimer brandt at dusthimers.com
Fri May 2 07:26:45 CEST 2003

First of all, sorry for starting a new thread.

Second, to Jonathan Rogers and company, I checked my XFree config and yes
the double buffer extension was in it.  I also checked my XFree log to see
whether or not it had loaded fine and it had.
Old message follows :

Alright.  I've read all the FAQs, read the mailing list archives, and have
tried nearly every combination of video output options.  Horrible,
horrible tearing continues to occur on my laptop when I use mplayer.
After spending countless hours trying to fix the problem and spending only
a few nights in a dark room weeping all alone over it, I have finally came
for help.
Here's the specs on the laptop:
Debian Testing (XFree 4.2.1.1, deb package ver: 4.2.1-6)
Toshiba Satelite 2805-S201
Celeron 650MHz
192MB RAM
Savage IX 8MB video chipset

Horizontal tearing occurs with any X based video output.  When I use dga,
vesa, etc., no tearing occurs.  I would use this, but it brings my picture
size down to about 2 1/3" x 3 1/2", and the hardware stretching on this
laptop is absolutely atrocious.  Both in non-X based video output and X
based video output, playback is smooth.  Stretching the screen
software-wise so that non-X based video output is full screen creates
major lag/slowness in the video playback.  -double option seems to do
absolutely nothing in X based video output (even when running as root).
All this leads me to believe that this is not a problem with mplayer or my
computers abilities, but instead a problem with X.  I am choosing to post
to this list solely because it seems to have the most
informed/helpful/etc. community of people.

xvinfo output, lspci output, xfree config file, etc. is all available to
anyone who thinks they can help.

END OLD MESSAGE

Once again, extreme thanks in advance and looking forward to an answer,

Brandt Dusthimer