[MPlayer-users] DeCSS legal status

Justin Moore justin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Mar 31 22:04:30 CEST 2003

> > As correct as this statment is, it is also true that DeCSS is in fact used
> > to watch the DVD.
> > Since DeCSS is circumventing CSS, it is a conflict with the DMCA...
> >
> > AFAIK, everytime we watch a legaly bought DVD with DeCSS, we are breaking
> > the law :)
> >
> > But, this is pure legalese sh*t, it can be used almost everywhere except for
> > the US.
>
> There has never been such a ruling, and probably not even such a
> claim. The reason the lawyers go after decss itself (the source) is
> probably because it can be used in making something to copy dvds.
> That's quite different from a binary that only plays them.

   Actually the "2600 case" outlawed DeCSS simply on the grounds that it
_could_ be used to circumvent encryption, regardless of the end use.
And, no, in the court's eyes there was not and is not a distinction
between copying and playing since the law makes no distinction between
copying and playing.  The court's ruling is (unfortunately) quite clear.

http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/MPAA_DVD_cases/20011128_ny_appeal_decision.html

   So, yes, there was such a claim, and, yes, there was such a ruling.
And, yes, this only has sway over those of us in the US.

-jdm

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:	justin at cs.duke.edu
Web:	http://www.cs.duke.edu/~justin/