[MPlayer-users] fps newbie question

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Thu Mar 27 20:13:36 CET 2003

OK, another newbie alert question.

I've been playing quite a bit with all sorts of options, and it's sort
of starting to make sense, but the huge amount of underlying knowledge
you have to have is just amazing.

Could someone explain the various fps pitfalls?

Here's what I'm doing (among other things):

I have a collection of PAL tapes, and a digital PAL<->NTSC tape deck.
The tape deck converts the PAL tapes to NTSC for display on an ordinary
NTSC TV.  I am capturing the resulting signal with a BT848 card.  I
often get "duplicate frame" messages, and jerky motion, which I am
assuming are the result of incorrect fps rates.

I've tried to set frame rates to what I thought were reasonable numbers,
but I end up with "video buffer overflow".  (What's that, anyway?  Not
enough CPU horsepower?)

Is there a reference somewhere that says:  PAL: xx FPS, NTSC: yy FPS,
DVD: zz FPS.  Probably something more complicated than that, but that's
the general idea.

Thanks,

--Yan

Yan Seiner, PE  (_)\(_)     ,>/'_   o__     o__
Cardinal Engineering, Inc. (_)\(_)  ,>/'_   ,>/'_
http://www.cardinalengineering.com (_)\(_) (_)\(_)
spam killer code kpwq1jkcsEzdx39gnkVvgycd15ayqq