[MPlayer-users] Cartoons

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Tue Mar 25 15:53:26 CET 2003

I continue to make progress in creating my home video library.  This
morning I stated to play around with some of my kids' cartoons.

Surprisingly, the video quality is awful - you can see the tiling
clearly and many of the edges have visible artifacts.

I'm playing with the following command to encode the tapes:

mencoder -tv
on:driver=v4l:input=1:norm=NTSC:width=320:height=240:adevice=/dev/dsp
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=500 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
vbr=3 -o movie3.avi

which produces acceptable live action movies from tapes and DVDs (my
definition of "acceptable" is suitable for viewing on a 9" portable
TV.)  I do a bit of clipping and rescaling on the DVDs but that's not
really relevant here.

I remember reading somewhere that sharp color transitions consume a lot
of bandwith.  Cartoons have a lot of those.

Is this right?  Any codecs suitable for cartoons?  Any help is greatly
appreciated.  I really don't want to use a bitrate greater than 500 if I
can at all help it, both for size and network bandwith considerations.

Thanks,

--Yan

Yan Seiner, PE  (_)\(_)     ,>/'_   o__     o__
Cardinal Engineering, Inc. (_)\(_)  ,>/'_   ,>/'_
http://www.cardinalengineering.com (_)\(_) (_)\(_)
spam killer code kpwq1jkcsEzdx39gnkVvgycd15ayqq