[MPlayer-users] Problem in installing MPlayer RPM packages

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Mar 22 18:54:31 CET 2003

On Saturday, 22 March 2003, Stephen Liu wrote:
[...]
> >As above.
>
> Just to confirm "libpng-1.0.12-2" and "libpng-devel-1.0.12-2" running on
> my system instead of using "rpm -qa | grep application"

And why do you think doing rpm -qa "libpng*" is less trustworthy than
trying to install these packages again?

> >- snip -
>

> >Why don't you just do
> >rpm -Uvh libpng-1.0.14-0.7x.4.i386.rpm libpng-devel-1.0.14-0.7x.4.i386.rpm
>
> It works.  Both packages upgraded.
>
> Now I have following packages successfully installed in my OS;
>
> mplayer-common-0.90rc4-2.i386.rpm
> mplayerplug-in-0.60-1.i386.rpm
>

> Start Mozilla and open a TV website.  Click the "NEWS CLIP" broadband
> connection but only a blank webscreen started.
>
> Kindly advise what mistake I have committed.

Aaargh. Can't you read?
(quoting http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/)
[...]
What to download?
both versions:

    * mplayer-common (1151 KB)

non-GUI version:

    * mplayer (1187 KB)

GUI version:

    * mplayer-gui (1436 KB)
    * default skin package (172 KB) or one of the other skins are available here
[...]

I think I'll put a dependency on "mplayer" in mplayer-common, so that
people can't make this mistake. Sheesh.

A note to mplayerplugin RPM packager: please make it depend on "mplayer".

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/