[MPlayer-users] MPlayer doesn't skip frames

armin.gerritsen at philips.com armin.gerritsen at philips.com
Fri Mar 21 10:03:41 CET 2003

Hello James,

Thanks, for the suggestions

> Zaurus: uses 206MHz Strongarm with fbdev
>
> what device is it btw?

We have an ARM 920 100MHz on an Integrator/AP board. We use a normal PCI
card (CMedia) as sounddriver.
The -af resample=44100 didn't help, and unless I'm mistaken coudln't since:

1) most of the sound wae used was already 44,1kHz
(But of course since I didn't mention that, you couldn't know that. :-) )

2) this doesn't explain why the symptom only exists with DivX/AVI and not
MPEG.

>> Of course our embeded CPU is very slow, so we can never play normal
>> DivX-files. However we decreased the size to very small sizes
>> (132x176) so that our ARM should be able to handle it.

> The Z handles 320x240 just fine, with audio.

Of course our 100MHz system is a lot slower, so it could very well be that
it doesn't handle DivX. ;-(

> libmad is likely what you want to use. Also, does the device have sdl
> available? That often helps on Z.

No SDL yet, but I may try.

>> The latter I consider a bug, even if the first would be caused by
>> the fact that it is our embeded CPU that is simply too slow, even
>> with -hardframedrop.

The above still holds IMHO, because even if it is a buggy sound-driver or
so, mplayer should never simply suspend video-frames untill all the audio
has been played.

>> - is there some -realyhardframedrop, or other option. :-)
>> - did anyone else notice the 'bug' (unless someone can tell me why
>> it isn't a bug).

>> Again, it plays fine without the video (or just sound alone). Note
>> also that if I take MPEG content the -framedrop option does work,
>> and all stays perfectly in sync.

> Be willing to bet that it is the audio rate.

Thanks again for the try, but it wasn't that ... ;-(
Any more suggestions?

Regards,

Armin