[MPlayer-users] Best way to dump pcm to a wav and ogg, ogm support

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Mar 21 00:56:34 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 06:42:12PM +0100, Moritz Bunkus wrote:

> Hi.
>
> > There is the better way to encode audio to ogg:
> > 1) mkfifo sound.wav
>
> I advice against it as you cannot normalize the sound that way.

I advise against normalizing sound. Frequency-space codecs don't seem
too fond of waveforms that actually take on the peak values (+-32k);
when prenormalization is used, the vorbis encoder will often generate
a bitstream that's much lower quality than when encoding the original
input, and the decoded output will have samples that go over 1.0
(32k), resulting in nasty clipping. I could speculate about the
mathematics of why this happens, but it seems best just to avoid
normalization and adjust your volume knob as necessary.

Rich