[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Dvd Crash

James Watkins jameswatkins at myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 20 04:33:40 CET 2003

RedHat Linux 8.0 psyche, Kde 3.0
MPlayer-0.90rc4.tar.bz2
Gainward Geforce4 ti4200 64MB ddr
Abit Kd7 motherboard, Via Kt400 & Vt8235, Ide Ultra Dma 33, 66, 100, 133
Amd Athlon Xp 1700+
256mb ddr memory
Ide Artec 16x Dvd-Rom, Linux Compat, 512KB buffer, Ultra Dma 0-2
Ide Yamaha LightSpeed3 24x10x40x Cdrw, 8MB buffer, Ultra Dma 2

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.  Sorry for the long post, I figured
a long post would be more appreciated than a lot of uninformative short
ones.  I did everything I could before running out of resources and
needing to ask for help.  I am not a Linux guru so please try to explain
things simply enough for me to follow and understand.

I have enabled dma by adding the option "options ide-cd dma=1" to
"/etc/modules.conf" then I run "hdparm -d 1 /dev/dvd" and that fixes the
choppy playback.

When playing dvds, it will play for about 30-45 minutes and then mplayer
will just stop.  After that "crash" I have to close it using xkill.  I
have tried to wait to see if it comes out of it, but it is unresponsive
no matter how long I wait.  I have tried pausing it every 10 minutes and
it will still do it about 30-45 minutes into the movie. I have also
tried skipping to the end of the movie and it works fine no matter where
in the movie it is playing until that 30-45 minutes. After the crash it
will freeze my dvd drive.  I can not open it or mount it or unmount it
unless I reboot Linux.  After I kill mplayer I can restart it and play
files, but it will crash again if I try to access the dvd drive.  I have
even tried mounting the dvd before playback. It would not be so bad if
there was a way to reset my dvd drive like it does during a reboot
without restarting, but I would not have the first clue as to where to
find the commands to do so.  I hate to bring Windows into this, but it
is worth noting that the dvds play fine all the way through in it.

When mplayer crashes I get these three errors, pretty much in this order
but jumbled and repetitively until I xkill.  I do not get these errors
in the Kde Konsole, but a virtual console:
hdd: cdrom_decode_status: 0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd: cdrom_decode_error: 0x30
hdd: ATAPI reset complete

Here is some info on my motherboard:
[JWatkins at localhost /]$ cat /proc/ide/via