[MPlayer-users] btaudio + TV recording problem

Giles RC Morant giles.morant at durham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 20:55:23 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 17:00, Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> Alan Murrell wrote:
>
> >[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have searched the mailing archive for this, and found ppl with the same
> >problem, but the solutions did not work, so I am hoping that someone here can
> >figure out what is going on?  I did notice in the FAQ that btaudio is
> >apparently not supported, but I did read some posts where people have gotten
> >to work, so I figured that was an old FAQ entry.  Anyway, let's start with my
> >setup:
> >>    - I have confirmed that audio works, as I can play MP3's, other videos,
> >etc.
> >    - just before recording, I started up 'aumix' and cranked up the IGain
> >setting, as well as Volume, Line, and PCM; I was able to hear the channel
> >through the stereo as it was being recorded, but upon playback, no sound
> >
> >And now for some information as far as Mencoder and MPlaer outputs, logs, etc.
> >
> >--- mencoder command ---
> >mencoder -tv
> >on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:width=320:height=240:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-cable:channel=45:adevice=/dev/dsp2:forceaudio:forcechan=2
> >-o /media/Video/recorded/output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> >vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128
> >--- mencoder command ---
> >

> Does it really hang with the soudcard used for recording, i.e. when
> omitting adevice=/dev/dsp2:forceaudio:forcechan=2 stuff or choosing
> /dev/dsp or /dev/dsp0 as adevice?
>
> Some cards cannot use btaudio for recording, or they capture just
> silence (like mine).

Jindrich Makovicka seems to be on the right track.  You are using dsp2,
one of the btaudio dsp devices.  You *cannot* use aumix with this
device, unless you start playing with the btmixer module.

Either record using the dsp device the audio cable is going into (i.e.
dsp0 and use aumix), or use the btaudio device properly.

The btaudio device has two dsp devices (you've read the btaudio docs
right?) so try both dsp2 and dsp1.
You can control the volume also with xawtv's v4lctl.

My guess is that your btaudio device is like Jindrich's if you have
tried these methods.

Giles.

P.S. The btaudio doc tells you how to use sox to record from the btaudio
device.  Try that for a definitive answer as to whether your btaudio
device is capable of recording.

--
Giles RC Morant <giles.morant at durham university>