[MPlayer-users] mencoder and 4GB+ files

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 00:14:27 CET 2003

On Tuesday 18 Mar 2003 20:13, Richard Dymond wrote:
> Can mencoder cope with files over 4GB?

It can encode from them; it can't index them. I regularly reencode 90-minute
MJPEG AVIs captured using mjpegtools' lavrec into MPEG-4 using mencoder.
After they've been encoded - to files of less than 4GB of course - they're
fine.

> The resulting file was about 20GB, and played OK except for seeking

If you want seeking, the only real option at the moment is to reencode.

(Does anyone know if re-encapsulating the A-V stream in an OGM container might
work? I don't have a huge AVI to hand at the moment to try it.)

Stephen