[MPlayer-users] btaudio + TV recording problem

DEBERT Jean-Louis jl.debert at rsd.com
Tue Mar 18 17:47:01 CET 2003

Alan Murrell wrote:

>  SUMMARY:
>      - When attempting to record TV, I get a decent picture,
>  and sound appears to be recorded, but does not playback.
>      - I have confirmed that audio works, as I can play
>  MP3's, other videos, etc.
>      - just before recording, I started up 'aumix' and cranked up the
IGain
>  setting, as well as Volume, Line, and PCM; I was able to hear the channel

>  through the stereo as it was being recorded, but upon playback, no sound

It is not enough to HEAR the sound: is simply means that the audio is
passed through to the speakers (or line-out) through the sound card's
preamp.

To _capture_ the sound (as digital bytes) in the PC, you also have
to set the proper input (here: line-in) to RECORD in your mixer.
(the default recording input is usually mic, not line-in).

Did you do this ?

I stumbled initially upon the same trap, that's why I know about this.
I guess that Mplayer can't do it automatically, simply it doesn't _know_
what the proper input is ...