[MPlayer-users] ALSA (0.9.1) + mplayer (0.90rc4) + Audigy2 + channels & surround problem

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Mar 15 17:35:26 CET 2003

Corey Hickey wrote:
> I don't think there's any list around, though I'd appreciate one as I've
> been investigating multi-channel capabilities myself lately. Some
> options that I know of:
>
> alsa9:front        output with front speakers
> alsa9:rear        output with rear speakers
> alsa9:surround51    set soundcard to 6-channel output
> alsa9:surround40    set soundcard to 4-channel output
> alsa9:hw:1,0        use soundcard #1 (the second card), subdevice 0
>
> Corrections and additions from anyone would be great!
>
> -Corey

And here's a couple more, both referenced from
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2002-July/009359.html
Note that the -options mentioned in the link above turned into
the suboptions of -ao alsa9, below:

alsa9:noblock		use nonblock mode
alsa9:mmap		use mmap mode

In related news, kudos and many thanks to Jindrich Makovicka for
improving the seeking speed with alsa9. Using current main CVS and
native alsa, mplayer now seeks at least as fast as when using oss
emulation.

-Corey