[MPlayer-users] 2 Bugs [?]

Wed Mar 12 11:38:58 CET 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>Out of curiosity, why are you using -forceidx with mencoder? It's
DRFI>almost never needed. In fact you can usually get by with -noidx
DRFI>when using mencoder unless you're using -ss or your file is badly
DRFI>damaged.

Without -forceidx seeking in resulting file sometimes works wrong. I
don't remember if it was in case of broken file / non-interleaved file /
concatenation of files, but -forceidx helps sometimes. After I occurred
such cases, I use -forceidx always - it never breaks anything for me. If
I'm processing file to get rid of NI or something else - why not? It may
only help.

Meantime, I found workaround - if that file is processed without
-forceidx, and then resulting file with -forceidx, everything works.
After -forceidx resulting file somewhat differs in index chunk (20
instead of 00 in some parts).

The file generated only with -idx is seekable forward by 20 sec (on
seek +10 command), and -10 sec backward (on seek -10) (i hate this
"feature" of mplayer... It works especially bad for mpeg1 files - when
"seek +10" seeks minute forward).
The file generated after -forceidx seeks backward -10 sec too, but
forward seeking works from 10 to 20 sec, depending on movie part, and
you can never guess how long next seeking will be ;) Not that this is
better, but there is a difference, you see...

Btw, do developers know that seeking is somewhat broken? It works
different for different type of files, sometimes incorrect, and seeking
intervals smaller that 10 behave strangely... "seek +2" seems to be
smallest seek in most files, and "seek -3" seeks the same amount
backwards, for example... I can report more complete examples, if
someone is interested.

--

Vladimir