[MPlayer-users] Re:MPlayer won't compile on LindowsOS for lack of GTK

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Mar 7 03:51:46 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 08:31:11PM -0800, Michael Katsevman wrote:
> Well, I checked more into it, and it seems it all stems from one simple
> problem:
> I'm missing the xlibs-dev package. However, LindowsOS has their own
> version of the xlibs package, so the dependencies of xlibs-dev aren't
> met! I have found they give you their version of xlibs-dev on
> Click-n-Run (a proprietry service where you get on-demand software).
> Click-n-Run was not included with the OS, and I don't really feel like
> shelling out $99 for the account. So I'm kinda stuck. I definetely know
> other GTK programs work (For example, I have this simple billiards game
> called gtkBilliards and it works just fine) and xmms also reportedly is
> gtk based. Nevertheless, the MPlayer ./configure still refuses to
> recognize GTK's existence...

Of course you don't need -dev packages for using precompiled stuff!
The whole point of a -dev package is that it gives you the headers you
need for compiling. As a solution, you can just copy the header files
from someone else's system with a working gtk install (similar
version) and it should be fine. A better approach would be not to use
lindows...

Rich