[MPlayer-users] Illegal Instruction/"Athlon Crash" - followup

emaillist+mpu at dogphilosophy.net emaillist+mpu at dogphilosophy.net
Thu Mar 6 05:40:35 CET 2003

On Monday 03 March 2003 04:07 pm, Baracus wrote:
> Hi
> Similar problem was few posts ago but it wasnt solved
> I have Athlon 1.7+ and ECS K7S5A mainboard
>
> I ve got the following error:
[...]
> > - MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.
[...]
> Some technical stuff:
> Athlon 1.7 XP
> ECS K7S5a
> STB Velocity 4400 (Riva TNT chip)
[...]

Okay, as I'd mentioned before, I was getting the same problem but was
able to work around it by manually "forcing" the cpu to "-march=athlon-tbird"
instead of the detected athlon-4 (it's really an Athlon XP 1800+).

I'd mentioned that I was suspicious that the mainboard (late 2001 manufacture,
ALi chipset - the ECS K7S5A mentioned by the original poster is an SiS) was
at fault.

I finally got a chance to upgrade to a new mainboard.  I can report that so
far every problem that I was suspicious that it was caused by the mainboard
seem to be true.  Most on-topic is that MPlayer now compiles and runs fine
as -march=athlon-4 with the new mainboard (the software is all still the
same).

On a less on-topic note, my kernel now actually boots when compiled as
"athlon" as well...

If anyone cares, the new mainboard is an MSI KT3 Ultra2 (VIA KT333 chipset).

Hopefully this'll help others with the same problem...