[MPlayer-users] two cents: why dvdnav is needed (why mplayer will die from this)

Steven Adeff adeffs at rpi.edu
Mon Mar 3 22:48:18 CET 2003

On Monday 03 March 2003 12:16, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> This post reflects such a great degree of ignorance and outright
> stupidity that it does not even deserve individual responses to its
> points.

Rich, I'd love to see your response to this post as I agree 100% with it. As
great a program as mplayer is, and as amazing as the programmers that write
it are, the developers that respond on this list are also the biggest bunch
of arrogant jerks/'extreme expletives' as I've ever had the pleasure of
encountering. I understand their point of view, and agree with it, but that
doesn't excuse your behaviour. Also, if the point of using a computer is to
make things easier, how does going through all our DVDs to write down chapter
info and title info, etc. make life easier? I'd rather just load up xine
which has really good menu support(and for me at least plays DVD's much
better than mplayer) and use it.

On Monday 03 March 2003 12:30, gabor wrote:
> maybe some people still doesn't understand the developers opinion.
> it's simple:
>
> the developers aren't paid for this, they're doing it in their free
> time.
> yes, they know that it would be good to have dvdnav support,
> no, they aren't planning to make dvdnav work with mplayer in the near
> future, because dvdnav's architecture is very different from mplayers =>
> making it work with mplayer is hard/boring/not-fun.
>
> gabor
>
> p.s: i hope I didn't misunderstand the devels opinion :))

Gabor, if this is what they mean, they sure have a hell of a time putting it
as nice and distinct as you managed to.
------

AND finally... lets solve this by setting up a page with a big ol' link on the
homepage that states neatly, clearly and without malice, the opinions of the
developers on topics that always come up. DVDnav being one of them, the gui
(of course with the seperate mplayer gui projects its an easy answer), and
because it always comes up, they're hatred of Nvidia. Make sure to mention
and emphasize that when someone wants to make a feature request that they
read through this page. You can also have it as a seperate page in the
documentation, but make it easier to find.

-Steven Adeff