[MPlayer-users] two cents: why dvdnav is needed

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Mar 3 05:09:16 CET 2003

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 06:40:30PM -0800, La Temperanza wrote:
> I have a bunch of Excel Saga anime DVDs. The Japanese cultural
> references in this series are even more obscure then in most anime, and
> the publisher has thoughtfully provided a feature called "AD Vid-Notes"
> which pop up on the screen and explain them. Unfortunately, they are
> turned off by default, and thus without dvdnav I would be unable to use
> them.
>
> I'm sure there are many other cases where the options menu of a DVD
> contains more then just the basics. Parental controls come to mind. And
> what about extras which are not in MPEG form, like image galleries?
>
> If you're that dead-set against dvdnav, you can implement some arcane
> system of accessing these kinds of things via the command line and I'll
> be happy too. :p

We're not dead-set against dvd navigation support. However, libdvdnav
is a really bad library and is not friendly to mplayer's way of doing
things. So if you want dvd nav support, code it yourself or find
someone willing to do it. But the current developers are not
interested in spending their time on this since they don't care for
silly menus.

Rich