[MPlayer-users] Should vqscale be used for first pass?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sun Jun 29 15:32:35 CEST 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> Tell us what the countquant.pl script outputs (it's in TOOLS). It'll
> show how often each quantizer was used.

Do you know why the manpage advocates using vqscale for the first of two
passes? Obviously, this isn't how you do it, since that would make
countquant.pl useless. When I've noticed PSNRs for the second pass, it's
seemed that using vqscale for the first pass didn't do as well as using
just vbitrate. Perhaps the manpage is misleading and should be changed.
I think I've read that XviD does use a constant quantizer for the first
pass, so perhaps that's where the confusion originated. Does anyone have
an authoritative answer? A lot of lavcopts are still magic to me. I
guess I need to start reading the source.

Jonathan Rogers