[MPlayer-users] Re: annoying error-message

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sat Jun 28 06:30:03 CEST 2003

Attila Kinali wrote:
> Well, infact there are no false positives.
> MPlayer prints this messages when it would have to drop too many packages
> (ie when the internal counter reaches a certain number).
> The point is, if the movie is just playing at the limit for some time
> and later uses less cpu, so mplayer can recover A-V sync, you wont
> even realize that video was lagging behind audio.

That's exactly what I mean about false positives. The great majority of
the time, I can ignore the message because MPlayer will recover within a
second or two. The result is that I always ignore the message and it is
meaningless to me. If I notice that my CPU usage is at the top for at
least five or ten seconds and/or there are very large jerks in the movie
continuously, I know there is an IO or CPU problem. I'd agree that
message is too Winozey because it's not specific enough. It'd be better
if it said something like: "Had to drop x frames."

Jonathan Rogers