[MPlayer-users] VESA stopped working with Radeon.

xi xizard at enib.fr
Thu Jun 26 02:00:30 CEST 2003

Dan wrote:
> TJ wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
>> I'm becoming desperate, having lost TV-out totally on Linux :( It's so
>> frustrating to boot to Windows, and I have only about 10% of the HDD
>> dedicated to Win so I can't even keep a lot of video files there, either.
>

> <snipped>
>
> There are a number of alternatives for getting tv-out working still.
> While some of them bite, here they are anyway:
>
> 1) Use the DirectFB driver.
> Pros:
> - Accelerated.
> - Very easy to set up.
> Cons:
> - You have to pick the right versions of mplayer & directfb. For example
> the latest version of each don't seem to work together. But the latest
> mplayer with the previous directfb seem to work.
> - The directfb driver is a little more flakey than the vesa driver -
> audio sync doesn't seem to be as good, and it sometimes screws up the
> terminal I'm using.
>
> 2) Use the XDirectFB server.
> Pros:
> - You get a GUI! Not such a big deal for me, but my girlfriend
> appreciates it.
> - Relatively easy to set up.
> Cons:
> - No acceleration. You need a VERY fast computer, and even then, it
> isn't so good.
>
> 3) Use the atitvout utility under X.
> Pros:
> - You get a GUI.
> - Accelerated.
> Cons:
> - Only works with XFree86-4.2.x, and then under _very_ special
> circumstances. See the Gatos mailing list for details ...
>
> 4) Use the 'devel' branch of the ati.2 driver to provide tv-out support.
> Pros:
> - Accelerated.
> - GUI.
> Cons:
> - A complete bitch to set up. Probably won't compile with any recent
> version of X.
> - Against the law in the US and other countries with idiotic legal systems.
>
> 5) Trick your Radeon into leaving tv-out activated when entering X.
> Pros:
> - Accelerated.
> - GUI
> Cons:
> - Very time consuming and annoying to set up. See the Gatos mailing list
> for details. Others swear it works. I haven't tested, but believe them ...
>

> In conclusion, there are plently of alternatives for when the vesa
> driver doesn't work.
> Personally I use the DirectFB driver. It _seems_ to be faster than the
> vesa driver to me. And it 'just works' - as long as you don't use a
> version of DirectFB which is incompatible.
>
> Hope this helps someone!
>
> Dan

Ok, but vesa was very simple to use. It was quite impressive, you just
start in text mode, and mplayer can play your movies, nothing to do,
nothing to install.
And I did some tests on my laptop (P133 MMX), and vesa seemed to be the
fastest (I can read some (few) small resolution divx using -framedrop).

Moreover vesa was able to support cards unsupported by X (I don't know
for framebuffer)

Regards,
			Xavier

--