[MPlayer-users] VESA stopped working with Radeon.

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at hut.fi
Wed Jun 25 16:54:03 CEST 2003

> In conclusion, there are plently of alternatives for when the vesa
> driver doesn't work.

Unfortunately afaik those alternatives do not work with newer Radeons.
I'm using Radeon 8500 (R200). Ati.2-drivers and atitvout don't work,
which also counts the "tricking your radeon into leaving..." out.

DirectFB could work (R200/R300, too?), but it definitely wouldn't work
together with ATI's binary (beta) drivers for XFree86 4.3.0. This might
change with the upcoming release from ATI. I need the binary drivers for
performance :(

XDirectFB doesn't allow me running the ordinary accelerated X-server at
the same time so that it'd be easy to quit mplayer do something else.

However, I may point out the one option I'm currently using - a bootable
CD with Movix². Movix uses mplayer, but since it uses Slackware 8.0 with
an earlier glibc, it drives the TV-out just nicely in VESA mode. It's
not too frustrating to boot to watch a whole movie.

-TJ