[MPlayer-users] VESA stopped working with Radeon.

TJ tianjy at jippii.fi
Tue Jun 24 18:21:02 CEST 2003

> I and others on this list have had the same problem - VESA mode not
> working with newer Linux distros.  (Redhat 8 in my case.)  I believe the
> culprit is newer versions of glibc.  Several months back, someone traced
> the cause of the problem to some of the code used in mplayer using an
> older function call that's no longer supported in newer versions of
> glibc.  I don't know enought about programming to be able to provide
> much more meaningful detail.

I've now tried to study this a bit more. It seems that the reason is not
the use of an older function call (vm86old) instead of a new one (vm86).
I tried changing mplayer-sources (or lrmi) to use the new call (via
assembler), but nothing really changed.

> Any chance of getting VESA working again?  I'm sure there are plenty of
> mplayer users out there using VESA for tv-out, and the problem will only
> grow as more users switch to newer distros.

I've now become confident that the problem isn't in mplayer, so it's
unfortunately of little use to complain here :( The problem isn't even
in the lrmi (a newer version of which can be used without any change in
behaviour), but in the glibc itself. See the following post:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-glibc/2002-12/msg00024.html

It seems that the problem is in pthreads. I asked the author of the post
about the problem, and he said the problem should've vanished with glibc
2.3.x-versions. It seems that's not correct or the problem we're seeing
is a bit elsewhere... Glibc/pthread-stuff is too much for me as I don't
know anything about them, but someone could ask about this on glibc
mailing lists - provided he'd know what to actually ask :)

-TJ

__
Ota itsellesi luotettava kotimainen email http://www.jippii.fi/
Tutustu samalla netin parhaaseen pelipaikkaan JIPPIIGAMESIIN.