[MPlayer-users] Re: file size falls short of 700MB for multi pass

Lubomir Blaha lblaha at mistral.cz
Mon Jun 23 09:00:51 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 12:11:14AM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> The other thing I haven't really been clear on is whether to use a
> constant quantizer. The mplayer manpage says it's a good idea for the
> first pass, but sometimes it seems to throw things off. For a while, I
> was specifying vqscale=2 for the first pass and vbitrate for the second,
> thinking that the bitrate for the first pass wasn't important. Then, I
> realized that in the absence of vbitrate=x, it just assumes 800.
But vqscale option is for one pass encoding (constant quantizer). It turn on
variable bitrate and when you use vbitrate, your one pass encoding works well.
If you want two pass video encoding, vqscale is useless and you need vqmin and
vqmax.

	Tritol

--
Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers.
		-- Pablo Picasso