[MPlayer-users] Re: file size falls short of 700MB for multi pass

Jason Pepas j.pepas at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 23 04:56:52 CEST 2003

On Sunday 22 June 2003 08:09 pm, Jonathan Rogers wrote:

> Jason Pepas wrote:
> >>No, it almost certainly doesn't mean that more bits wouldn't improve
> >>quality. Libavcodec's rate control is far from perfect. For most movies,
> >>it gets pretty close, but on some, it uses way too few bits. So far, the
> >>only way I've been able to fix it is to reencode, specifying a higher
> >>bitrate.

hmm, which bitrate is it that you are increasing?  are you increasing the
bitrate for both video passes, or just the final video pass?

I just tried the following:

- audio pass
- prints out suggested bitrates
- video pass 1, using higher-than-suggested-bitrate
- video pass 2, using same bitrate as video pass 1

and it still came out the exact same size as using the suggested bitrate.

thanks,
jason